As we approach the mid-year month of June, we can begin to fully appreciate what has been collectively achieved… a summary of how the center has been forging ahead:
2016 (first half of the year…)
- January: “Spirit in Nature” (1/8-29/16)marked the final exhibition organized under the direction of Lourdan Kimbrell, President Hawaii Museum of Contemporary Art, at the East Hawaii Cultural Center.
- February: the galleries were closed for renovation. During this interim, activity continued in the performance space with “The Dream” (2/5/16) Choreography by Shizuno Nasu (Japan); “Cuttlefish Bone Casting” (2/6/16) in the Annex Workshop with Kirsten Eberly; in the theater Buddy Cage – pedal steel guitar (2/20/16).
- March: reopening of renovated and renamed EHCC galleries. In the Makai Gallery – “Home/Less”, in the Mauka Gallery, “Young at Art” (3/5/16); Spring Intercession Workshop (3/25/16) in collaboration with the Boys and Girsl club of Hilo with Kellie Miyazu, Monique Ortiz, and Kirsten Eberly
- April: EHCC joined the ArtChangeUS REMAP: Bay Area livestream party (4/15/2016) that focused discussion on art that fearlessly responds to the ever-changing demographics in the U.S. http://artsinachangingamerica.org/remap-bay-area-recap/; opened the exhibition, “Darrell Orwig: Toward the Light” in the main EHCC Makai/Mauka galleries (4/16/2016); co-sponsored the screening and conversation with Hanna Polak about her film, “Something Better to Come” (4/29/16) at the University of Hawaii at Hilo; 11 am – 5:00 pm “Open House” in conjunction with Chow Downtown Hilo (4/30/16)
- May: a First Friday first – “Tango Night”…in conjunction with Chow Downtown Hilo (5/6/16); “Kona Harp Band/John Pierre Thome” in the EHCC theater (5/7/16); “Bach in Hilo” with the Orchid Isle Orchestra in the EHCC theater (5/22/16); “Art in Action” workshop with Randoll Rocafort and César Vélez in the Annex Off-Center Workshop ran three consecutive Saturdays (5/14, 21,28/16); “Shingo Honda: Transience” a selection of paintings and drawings (5/28 – 6/24/16); “*US*…a you and me kind of thing” with Poet Michel Dalton in the EHCC theater (5/28/16)
- June: The EHCC will host a special three (3) week Summer Art Program “Mauka to Makai” with Jackie Johnson, Monique Ortiz, Kirsten Eberly, and Kellie Miyazu (6/13 through 7/1/16); a date 2nd week of June is being currently set for a grand opening of the EHCC concept store “S P A C E”
The second half of the year July through December - with new and revised exhibitions on tap, EHCC promises to be just as exciting and rewarding as the first 6 months. An award from the University of Hawaii at Hilo office of applied learning (ALEX) will provide funding to support internships at EHCC for 4 incoming freshman, or sophomore level students that will help carry us from August 2016 to May 2017. We may also see, pending enrollment in UNIV 100 Art/PART LLC an influx of students who will be engaged as a Living Learning Community at the EHCC from August to December 2016. An NEA grant request for exhibition support in 2017 is also currently pending.
We plan to keep the EHCC in the cycle of First Friday events through means that on occasion will engage activity other than art opening. If you heard about “Tango Night” in conjunction with Chow Downtown Hilo (3/6/16)…you will not want to miss First Friday “Salsa” June 3 …come to dance or just enjoy the music. The gallery will be open and with grinds provided by Chow Downtown…the EHCC should absolutely remain on your First Friday rotation.
My intention is to work to establish partnerships with local, regional, national, and international art organizations – to support the transformation of downtown with EHCC as the epicenter of community art engagement.
Looking forward to the second half of 2016…and hope to see you at the EHCC soon.
EHCC Volunteer, Executive Director